Since WeMo devices appear to be few and far between now in Australia, I thought I’d try the apparently “ZigBee” compatible Swann Devices for smart home automation. I was pleasantly surprised that it was incredibly easy to set up – and no Swann Hub is required.
- Plug in the device, and start searching for it using your SmartThings app.
- It should appear as a “Thing” and essentially do nothing.
- Log into the online portal for SmartThings:
- Set you set your home location to your relevant hub.
- Go to your list of devices:
- Select the “Thing” from the list.
- Edit the device and select the device type “ZigBee Switch Power”.
You can also take this moment to update the label to something more appropriate.
- Update it, and all going to plan, it will work nicely.
I have only had one problem so far, and that is that the reported power consumption appears to be off by a factor of 10. With a bit of playing around, I’ve modified the standard device handler to remove an apparent division by 10 on the reported power usage.